Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Solo Prayer

I've been so busy over the last several months that blogging just took a back seat, but I've been wanting to get back to it for a while now. Well, after what happened this morning it created the perfect opportunity to get back to the blog and get it written down.

I sat down at our breakfast table this morning with Nicholas to eat our cereal. He likes chocolate cheerios like his mommy, but SAM's hasn't been carrying it lately, so we've had to settle for honey nut cheerios instead. Nicholas had just started eating so I bowed my head to say a quick silent prayer. When I looked up Nicholas had his arms folded and his head bowed with his eyes open looking directly at me.

Well, I felt bad about not saying a prayer out loud with him so I asked him if he wanted to say a prayer. (I guess I just wasn't going to take the time because I wasn't feeling good and he was already eating). I was happy that Nicholas said, "yes," that he wanted to say the prayer, and I thought to myself that I would let him try it without me saying anything and him repeating my words as we normally do.

This was his prayer: "Heavenly Father, thank you for this food and for something to drink, amen." You can imagine my surprise. I couldn't believe my 3 year old was saying his first prayer all by himself! It was so cute. And it surprised me even more when he included the "something to drink" part because he had asked me for some water in a cup which we usually don't have with breakfast. He really likes orange juice but for whatever reason it was water this morning.

Nicholas has been parroting words, conversations, and even prayers for quite a while now but he had never attempted a prayer on his own until this morning. We usually giggle during family home evening after someone has said the prayer because Nicholas will pray right along with you repeating exactly what is being said.

I couldn't wait to tell Rick and my parents about Nicholas' first solo prayer today. Yes, I'm a proud mommy.

1 comment:

  1. That is great! I love it when they learn to do things on their own. Those are some of the greatest moments in parenting.

    ReplyDelete