Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Happy Birthday, Dad!


On Monday, August 30, 2010 my dad turned 69 years old. It's hard to believe that in only one more year he will turn 70, but I'm not trying to rush things. I'd like to keep him around for many more years to come. You know the saying, "they broke the mold when they made him?" Well, it's so true about my dad. He is one of my absolute favorite people in the whole world, and I can't imagine what my life would be like without him. If you hadn't guessed it by now, yes, I'm a daddy's girl. Always have been and always will be!

For my dad's birthday my mom cooked a special dinner for him that we all enjoyed very much. Then he got to open his presents. My sister-in-law, Darla, got him a nice tie that has the little deseret beehive all over it. My brother and grandma gave him some money, and then came the present from me, Rick, Nicholas and my mom. My dad was so surprised when he opened his present and saw the book, "The Joseph Smith Papers, Revelations and Translations." This book is pretty expensive but I lucked up on a 40% off sale online and snagged one for him!


After opening presents the rest of our Family Home Evening group arrived and we watched another segment of a DVD series by Truman Madsen where he's over in the Holy Land and gives wonderful insights into the life of Christ. I've learned so much from him, and he just explains things in a way that makes things "make sense" and so much easier to understand. The scriptures literally seem to "come alive" as he shares his knowledge and provides cultural customs, traditions and background information. Plus, the scenery is absolutely beautiful!

When Family Home Evening was over we got to eat a special cake for my dad's birthday. My mom makes a homemade carrot cake and makes a homemade cream cheese icing that is so yummy! I'm not a big fan of carrot cakes, but I never pass up a slice of my mom's carrot cake.


I'm not sure where she found the recipe, but I've never ever tasted a carrot cake as moist and fresh as this one. You would never believe it from tasting it, but there's no sugar in the frosting! Anyway, my dad had a great birthday and we all had fun helping him celebrate it.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Brother Luke! I think your dad is wonderful he has always been so kind and eager to help in anyway he can. Glad you guys got to all celebrate in a big way. I LOVE carrot cake if you mom is giving away the recipe can you tell her to pass it my way.... it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Dad too! How funny that he shares a birthday with my Grandma :) That carrot cake really does look delicious. I wish I had a piece right now!

    ReplyDelete