Sunday, August 22, 2010

Whirlwind Weekend

We had such a busy weekend! Saturday we had the Williams family reunion at our church building for my Grandma Luke's side of the family. I had gone up to the church with my parents on Friday to set up tables and chairs, and a cousin and his wife met us there. Well, we had an unexpected good turnout of family so they ended up having to set up a few more tables. It was nice seeing family I hadn't seen in a while (we didn't have a reunion last year) and some family relations got to see my son Nicholas for the first time. Also, my sister-in-law, Darla, came with us because she knows some of that side of my family and she got to meet a lot of new ones.

After the reunion I had to come back home and try to fiddle with a photograph I had taken of Hilary (Jensen) and Rob McClellan after their wedding last Saturday at the temple. Hilary's parents wanted to use my photo to display on a table at the wedding reception on Saturday evening. I made some adjustments to enhance the picture quality for the enlargement, burned it to a CD and went up to Middleburg to make some prints. I did some 5 x 7's in color, black & white and sepia tones. I just love black & white photos! Well, it took a little longer than I thought because the photo kiosk froze up on me and the lady had to restart the machine, so that meant I lost everything I had just done!

Then it was on to the store to pick up a birthday ice cream cake for my hubby. I got home with about an hour to shower, wash my hair and get ready to go to the reception. Rick even ironed some wrinkles out of the dress for me that I wore. All this time Darla had been at my house while Nicholas was down for a nap and while waiting for Rick to get home after running some errands. He and my dad left to go to a Jaguar's pre-season game that ended up having a two hour rain delay, no A/C or seats left in the Touchdown Club that Rick had been given the tickets for, and only getting to watch the first quarter of the game before he and dad were ready to come home. Some birthday, right?

On the way to the reception with my mom the heavens opened with a gully washer of a storm about ten minutes away from the stake center. Yes, I had an umbrella in the car, but it was in the trunk where my husband had left it! I had no choice but to get soaking wet getting the umbrella out of the trunk. I squeezed under the umbrella with my mom and we scurried to get inside. I had to be there a little early because I had been asked to cut and serve the groom's cake. After drying off in the bathroom (the best we could anyway) I got to see Hilary right away and her mom and dad. They loved the pictures I brought and I told them I had printed multiple copies in case they wanted to share some with family.

I was so glad my mom was with me because it took both of us to cut and serve the groom's cake. The reception had a great attendance I thought even in spite of the pouring rain outside. I was very tired by the time we got home. Darla told me that Nicholas was very good for her and he was so happy to see me when I got home. He just melts my heart!

I thought I would sleep like a rock Saturday night after the day's events, but for some reason I didn't sleep that well at all. So I still felt pretty tired today. We had Rick's dad (his mom is visiting with her sister in New York City), Darla, my brother, my parents and Grandma Luke over for a birthday dinner for Rick this evening. Rick cooked steaks and pork chops out on the grill that his dad and Darla had brought over, and they tasted so good. After that Rick opened his presents, then we had the birthday ice cream cake. It was yummy! Rick is now officially older than me, at least for the next month anyway.

So that was our whirlwind weekend in a nutshell. Maybe I can rest tomorrow???

3 comments:

  1. Well, I hope things have settled down since then! That is one crazy busy weekend. But sometimes the busiest times are the happiest times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It stinks when weekends are crazy. The photo you took at the wedding is gorgeous. That rain Saturday was wild. Glad to hear you had more family than expected. Sounds like a fun time to me. I love that you are blogging.

    ReplyDelete